EVENT: May 2017 is Fairtrade Month
May 1-31, 2017 is Fairtrade Month. A month where leaders, businesses, schools and many others come together to celebrate everything Fairtrade!
Fairtrade products vastly improve the working and living conditions of families in the Global South. Based on the principles that farmers and workers deserve better prices, decent working conditions and fair terms of trade, Fairtrade works on supporting the farmer and worker communities. This promotes and encourages more control over their own futures and protection of the environment.
Fairtrade is 50% owned by producers – giving them an equal voice in decision making for overall strategy, use of resources and setting prices, premiums and standards. When you purchase a product with the FAIRTRADE Mark, you have chosen to support a product who’s Fairtrade ingredients meet Fairtrade social, economic and environmental standards.
In a society that depends heavily on global markets, supply and demand, and consumerism you can ensure your dollar is speaking for you. Look for the FAIRTRADE mark on your products, explore what Fairtrade means, and spread the word about ethical consumption.
During Fairtrade month, join others in celebrating everything Fairtrade!
Raise awareness, understand global trade issues, and promote Fairtrade products!
- Consult the Fairtrade Action Guide for a comprehensive look at what Fairtrade is, Fairtrade month and activation ideas.
- Become a designated Fairtrade School, Campus, Town, Workplace, Faith Group, or Ambassador.
- Take part in the World Fairtrade Challenge May 12-14, 2017.
- Promote Fairtrade through their producer photos that include quotes and facts (available in French and English).
- Organize events with these tips and posters.
- Engage with retailers, share these merchandising tips and promote them within your community!
- Consult Fairtrade’s social media best practices, use the suggested messaging, banners, steps, product photos and images.
- And don’t miss the special image on May 4th with the hashtag #MayFairtadeBeWithYou
Visit Fairtrade Canada or check out their social media pages on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, or Linkedin for more!
Happy Fair Trade Month!
Leave a Reply