SPEAKER: Webinar for Schools: Halloween, Chocolate, and the Ghostly Cocoa Industry
It’s Halloween soon, and everyone will be buying lots of treats! But do you know where your chocolate was made, and who made it?
Join Fair Trade Manitoba, Divine Chocolate and the Canadian Fair Trade Network for a one-hour webinar on the cocoa industry!
The webinar is meant to give a positive but realistic background on the cocoa industry, and to be a platform through which to share ideas and insights on possible alternatives to the dark side of Halloween.
The webinar is aimed at students aged 12+ and teachers can register for free on Eventbrite, joining the webinar on the day of with their class. Participating classes do not need to be from a Fair Trade school!
*the webinar will be hosted on ZOOM. Classes will need a screen and/or projector to view the accompanying PowerPoint and a microphone if you would like to participate in information sharing.
- Some of the topics that will be touched upon include: child labour, the cocoa harvest, chocolate brands, Divine chocolate’s co-operative in Ghana, Fair Trade programs in Canada, and Fair Trade Halloween campaign ideas.
- Students will learn more about the cocoa industry and the chocolate they can buy for them to become Fair Trade champions during Halloween.
- Classes will have the opportunity to talk to other students and teachers from across Canada about their Fair Trade events, ideas and activities.
*UPDATE: The webinar is now available on YouTube and is linked below.
Thursday, October 11, 2018
9:00 AM PDT
10:00 AM MDT
11:00 AM CDT – Manitoba
12:00 PM EDT
1:00 PM ADT
- Presentation and Activities about the cocoa industry (including its connections to Halloween and consumer behaviour in Canada)
- How Fair Trade chocolate is different than conventional chocolate through Divine’s co-operative in Ghana
- Question and Answer – facilitated but an opportunity for teachers to engage with their students
- Exchange of ideas, school actions, future plans, etc. with classes across Canada.
- Draw for the ‘door’ prize of free Divine chocolate
For more information, visit the Eventbrite page or contact Sarah at email@example.com
Leave a Reply