EVENT: COMMUTER CHALLENGE 2019
Reduce your carbon footprint and join the 2019 Commuter Challenge from June 2-8, 2019!
During Canadian Environment Week (June 2-8), take part in the Commuter Challenge and reduce your carbon footprint while exploring different ways of getting to school or work!
The Commuter Challenge is a competition between Canadian cities and workplaces (schools can register too) that encourages Canadians from East to West, North to South to leave their cars at home.
Every year, over 20,000 Canadians participate in greener commuting options, proving that we have what it takes to reduce our individual and community ecological footprints.
ONE STEP AT A TIME… LITERALLY
The Green Action Centre leads Manitoba’s Commuter Challenge and encourages Manitobans everywhere to commute more sustainably. Through the Green Action Centre, Manitoba has been participating for 16 years with 3,244 workplaces, 44,495 participants and 679,810 KG of Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions avoided!
Workplaces and individuals can sign up and log their green commutes between June 2-8, 2019.
Once registered, participants record their commute and receive rewards for walking, cycling, carpooling/ride-sharing, taking public transit and telecommuting (working from home or somewhere near by, hello coffee shop down the street)!
You can participate as a workplace or as an individual and track your progress as the week goes on!
STEP 1: Register your workplace!
STEP 2: Obtain your unique registration URL and send this to your co-workers/team for an easy registration.
STEP 3: As a workplace coordinator for the challenge, register for the workplace coordinator information session to learn the most effective ways to lead the Commuter Challenge at your workplace.
Not only does participating in the Challenge benefit the environment but you also have the chance to win amazing prizes!
How to Win:
1. Make sure you’re registered as an employee or individual and log your sustainable kilometers throughout the week (June 2-8, 2019).
2. Post pictures and videos to social media using the hashtag #CommuterChallengeMB
3. Create an account and use the ride-matching app GoManitoba.
– FREE Bus Pass for a Year with Winnipeg Transit (1,000 value)
– TWO Folklorama VISAs to tour the world in Winnipeg ($550)
– FREE Doughnuts for a year from Oh Doughnuts! (1 dozen/month for a year, $360 value)
– TWO FREE tickets to a concert at the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra (up to $220 value)
– FREE night stay for TWO at an Alt Hotel across Canada ($200 value)
– Raleigh City Cruiser from The Wrench ($175 value)
GoManitoba Grand Prize
– TWO Full Weekend Passes to the Winnipeg Folk Festival – July 11-14, 2019 ($500 value)
There are many more prizes under categories and themes like “The Zen Prize Pack”, “Family Adventure Prize Pack”, “The Explorer Prize Pack”, “Get Out There”, “Early Big Prize”, “Walking Warrior”, “Transit Trooper” and more!
*Check out the prizes here!
LINKS FROM GREEN ACTION CENTRE
*Find tools like KM Tracking Spreadsheets for workplaces and individuals, a introductory email template, and a Winnipeg Cyclist Map here!